Indian Wells 2026: World No.1 Aryna Sabalenka and Alexander Zverev progressed to the next round with comfortable straight-set victories.
Hungarian Marton Fucsovics produced the tournament’s major upset by defeating Lorenzo Musetti. Top seed Sabalenka began her campaign for a long-awaited first title at Indian Wells Open with an impressive performance. The Belarusian star defeated Japanese qualifier Himeno Sakatsume by 6–4, 6–2 in the second round on Friday.

After receiving a first-round bye, Aryna Sabalenka was playing her first event since finishing runner-up to Elena Rybakina at the Australian Open. Despite the break, the world No.1 looked sharp and in control throughout the match, overpowering the 136th-ranked Sakatsume, who was facing a top-20 opponent for the first time in her career.
Sabalenka who has twice reached the Indian Wells final but lost to Rybakina in 2023 and to Mirra Andreeva last year.
BNP Paribas Masters Past Winners:
Aryna Sabalenka said,
“I am really happy with the way which I was serving, with the way I was putting her on the back foot.”
“I haven’t played for a while after participate Australian Open and i am happy with the performance today.”
“It was pretty really with confident wearing this ring. It feels comfy, it feels shiny to me. I hope that my opponent will get distracted with this diamond and it is going to benefit for me.”
The 136th-ranked Sakatsume get nervous and dropped her serve in the opening game but steadied after saving four break points to hold in the fifth.
Himeno Sakatsume struggled to cope with the powerful game of Aryna Sabalenka. A single service break proved decisive as the Belarusian star secured the opening set with confidence.
BNP Paribas Masters Past Winners:
Sakatsume managed to hold serve at the start of the second set, but Sabalenka quickly took control of the match by winning five consecutive set level. The world No.1 wrapped up the victory in just 72 minutes and never faced a single break point during the contest.
Men’s singles fourth-seed German Alexander Zverev also sailed into the third round after beating Italian Matteo Berrettini by 6-3, 6-4 without facing a break point.
Really it was an encouraging start for the German, who fell in his opening match last year and has never made it past the quarterfinals in the California desert.
Alexander Zverev said,
“I have struggled in Indian Wells before start, but I feel different feel in this year.”
Get more Tennis Player Profiles and WTA Ranking and ATP Ranking.
